Notice of SEDL Vacancy
4700 Mueller Blvd., Austin, Texas 78723
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Opens: January 29, 2013
Application review begins February 12, 2013.
|POSITION:||EDUCATION RESEARCHER (Research Specialist or Research Associate)
This position is based in SEDL's Austin, TX office.
More than one may be hired.
SEDL UNIT: Research and Evaluation (R&E)
JOB DESCRIPTION: SEDL, a nationally recognized and respected research organization headquartered in Austin, Texas, is seeking education researchers to join our research and evaluation team. We are looking for individuals interested in making substantial contributions to the field of education research through applied evaluation research and analytical technical assistance particularly in the areas of Pre-K, charter schools, college and career readiness, improving school performance, teacher effectiveness, and science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The staff members will primarily be responsible for collaborating with a team of SEDL and other nationally recognized researchers on SEDL’s Regional Education Laboratory (REL) in the Southwest with funding from the U.S. Department of Education’s Institute of Education Sciences (IES). More specifically, the positions provide successful candidates an opportunity to work as a core team member to:
- Support data collection efforts and conduct analyses of data from a variety of data sources including state longitudinal data systems, district data, higher education, and regional service centers.
- Provide analytical technical support to practitioners, policymakers, and other SEDL constituents to build their capacity to use archival data to inform evidenced based programs, policies, and practices.
- Assist with designing and implementing large- and small-scale experimental (randomized controlled trials) and non-experimental (descriptive, correlational, and systematic review) evaluations of education programs, policies, and practices within teams of multidisciplinary staff.
- Apply advanced knowledge of a variety of evaluation activities including logic models, evaluation designs, statistical procedures, psychometric methods, rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis plans, and work with team members to implement the plans.
- Develop written concept papers, research proposals, briefs, reports, publications, and contribute to REL products for IES and public release.
- Prepare and conduct oral briefings, trainings, webinars, and presentations to practitioners, policymakers, and other SEDL constituents.
- Contribute to the growth, expertise, and institutional knowledge of other SEDL R&E staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: Earned Masters or Ph.D. (Ph.D. preferred), or equivalent in education, sociology, psychology, or related field. Demonstrated skills in designing and conducting research and/or evaluation studies. Strong conceptual and analytic skills, oral and written communication skills. Ability to work as a collegial, contributing member of a project team with other researchers, state, district and school administrators, teachers, and other stakeholders, as well as work independently as needed. Demonstrated experience working with multilingual, multiethnic, and multiracial coworkers and constituencies.
EXPERIENCE: For a Research Specialist, one year; Research Associate seven years (with Masters) or five years (with doctorate) of successful, relevant work experience. Relevant experience includes education research design, implementation, and quantitative analysis, experience collecting and utilizing data from PreK-16 settings, and communicating study findings to researchers, policymakers, and practitioners. Experience and/or participation in training programs focused on state longitudinal data systems, value added/ growth models, and IES methodological standards are a plus. Evidence of successful proposal development activities with the federal government, state governments, or foundations preferred.
TRAVEL: Individual must be willing and able to perform all travel (including overnight and commercial airline travel) that is necessary to accomplish the principal accountabilities associated with the position. Travel for this position is estimated to be up to 20%.
SALARY: Research Specialist is an exempt position on Pay Grade 11 of SEDL’s Salary Structure. The total salary range is $58,248 - $87,372. The initial salary shall generally fall within the first third of the range, which is $58,248 - $67,956. Research Associate is an exempt position on Pay Grade 13 of SEDL’s Salary Structure. The total salary range is $72,780 - $109,884. The initial salary shall generally fall within the first third of the range, which is $72,780 - $85,152. Initial salary is dependent upon the successful applicant’s relevant experience and education; plus exceptional benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail your letter of interest, curriculum vitae or resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Word documents and PDFs are acceptable. Electronic submissions are preferred, but if you would rather mail your application materials, send them to:
Careers at SEDL
4700 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723
Application review begins February 12, 2013. Check SEDL's website (http://www.sedl.org/about/careers.html) to determine status of position and to read SEDL employment standards.