National Partnership for Quality Afterschool Learning Randomized Controlled Trials:
SEDL's National Partnership for Quality Afterschool Learning oversaw three randomized controlled trials (RCTs) that evaluated the benefits of promising afterschool interventions on student achievement. The 2-year studies assessed the impacts of READ 180, Voyager, and Success for All curricula in large-scale field trials involving a single school district, several regional districts, and a statewide sample of students attending afterschool programs. SEDL provided reviews and assistance with grantees' study designs, evaluation plans, RCT procedures, and analytic plans.
- Research Brief: Implementing Randomized Controlled Trial Studies in Afterschool Settings: The State of the Field (PDF 120K)
- Research Brief: Key Issues and Strategies for Recruitment and Implementation in Large-Scale Randomized Controlled Trial Studies in Afterschool Settings (PDF 148K)
- Research Brief: The National Partnership for Quality Afterschool Learning Randomized Controlled Trial Studies of Promising Afterschool Programs: Summary of Findings (PDF 188K)
Texas 21st Century Community Learning Centers (CCLCs) Evaluation:
SEDL and Academic Information Management, Inc., conducted case studies and cross-case analyses to evaluate Texas 21st CCLC grantees in their second year of implementation. The evaluation study was designed to provide qualitative data that would contribute to a larger quantitative study of the grant program being conducted by the Texas Education Agency. SEDL identified and profiled promising 21st CCLC projects across Texas and examined common characteristics across the afterschool programs they implemented. The study replicated a large-scale study conducted by the National Partnership for Quality Afterschool Learning, led by SEDL and the National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing, and commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education.
- The Evaluation of Texas 21ST Century Community Learning Center Projects: Common Features of Promising Afterschool Programs in Texas (PDF 1.5MB)
- Executive Summary (PDF 1.0MB)