Curriculum Details for
MCP Plaid Phonics
|MCP Plaid Phonics|
||Literacy/Language Arts |
||$53-$57 per teacher’s guide, $8 - $14 per student guide|
|The costs shown were accurate at the time of the review. Please check the publisher's web site for current prices.||
Developer Contact Information|
1 Lake Street
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
User Comments (add a comment)
are 0 user comments on file.
This school-based curriculum is easily adapted for afterschool. MCP Plaid Phonic’s primary goals are to teach early phonics skills, support reading development, and enhance reciprocity between reading and writing. Extension and cross curricular activities allow teachers to customize lessons around the needs of the students. Curriculum materials include a teacher’s guide with lesson and activity descriptions, student books, as well as word and picture cards.
The curriculum is hands on, with manipulatives for the early grades and more interactive pieces for later grades, addressing developmental and cognitive needs. There are specific strategies for ESL students, auditory, kinesthetic, and visual learners, as well as those who need extra support or intervention.
Costs and Staff Training
Costs vary by grade level. For K-3, each color student edition is $7.95-$8.95, teacher’s edition is $53.95, and picture/word card sets are $47.95-$71.50. For grades 4-6, each student edition is $13.95 and teacher’s edition is $57.95. Libraries of books, leveled by skill, range from 36 to 840 books and cost between $136 and $2,728. There are sometimes special offers and discounts for large volume purchases.
Curriculum is straightforward and user friendly, so training is not required but can be made available depending on needs.
Formal teaching experience is not required to be able to successfully implement this program. Both content and practitioner expert reviews support this, although they suggest also that some background understanding of phonics rules might be helpful.
National: None specified.
State: None specified.
This program was based on research in early phonics instruction.
The program has not been evaluated, but will shortly be submitted for review to FCRR Florida Center for Reading Research.
Overall Strengths/Overall Challenges
- Variations of lessons.
- Consistency of skills being taught.
- Very thorough curriculum, teaches students effectively.
- Allows students to work at their own pace and master each concept before moving on to the next.
- Both age appropriate and challenging.
- Children enjoy it and have fun.
- Suggestions for how to reach different types of learners are particularly useful.
- Teacher’s manual is easy to read and straightforward.
- Limited to a focus on phonics.
- Games and activities suggested in the “Focus on All Learners” section would need to be used to ensure the curriculum is engaging for students.