Curriculum Details for
AMP (Accelerating Maximum Potential) Reading Intervention
|AMP (Accelerating Maximum Potential) Reading Intervention|
||Literacy/Language Arts: Reading |
||$1,499 per 24 students|
|The costs shown were accurate at the time of the review. Please check the publisher's web site for current prices.||
Developer Contact Information|
Pearson Learning Group
6601 West Canal Point Lane
Fort Wayne, IN, 46804
User Comments (add a comment)
are 0 user comments on file.
The AMP Reading Intervention System is an intensive reading program designed to close reading gaps for students in middle and high school who read three or more years below grade level. The program focuses on comprehension strategies, vocabulary, and building fluency through the use of explicit instruction and highly engaging student materials. The AMP system is appropriate for school and afterschool settings. There are additional components that are designed specifically for use in afterschool, summer school, or community-based programs.
The AMP Reading Intervention comes in three levels, including seven units containing 18 lessons each. All levels are geared toward middle or high school age students reading below grade level: Level 1 is for those reading on a 3rd or 4th grade reading level, Level 2 is for those on a 4th or 5th grade reading level, and Level 3 is for those on a 5th or 6th grade reading level. Each level includes a student guide, teacher's edition, AMP library books, assessment masters, and customized reading strategies (for use by other content area teachers). Also included is the Power Start CD to orient teachers to program materials and their intended use.
Costs and Staff Training
The curriculum costs $1,499 for 24 students. All materials are priced as smaller bundles to accommodate smaller afterschool sales. There are no discounts available.
Training is not required to purchase and use AMP with a few sites. The Power Start training CD should provide necessary training for staff. However, training may be required for large scale implementation. If this is the case, the estimated cost is $1,500 for a half day of training and $3,000 for a full day for 50 participants (if not priced as part of curriculum package). Funding assistance might be available in some situations.
The program is explicitly designed so that nearly any educator can implement the reading program. Practitioner and content expert reviews support this, while content experts also suggest that some understanding of how to adapt activities and go “off script” would be helpful.
- National: None specified.
- State: None specified. It is designed to improve students' overall reading skills.
AMP Reading was developed with the sound underpinnings of findings from more than 200 studies in comprehension reviewed by the National Reading Panel.
As the curriculum is new, it is undergoing evaluation. AMP is currently being validated in a one-year study conducted by McREL. This is a gold standard study using RCT. There are research papers, fact sheets and other AMP literature available for review by interested parties, and other information is available here: http://www.ampforsuccess.com.
Overall Strengths/Overall Challenges
- Curriculum is highly structured and well-organized, providing for continued reinforcement of content.
- Content is high quality, visually engaging, and seems to be high interest to students.
- Teaches in a systematic and structured fashion.
- Variety of book topics allows integration into different content areas.
- Seems to build confidence in students.
- Teacher self-evaluation at end of each unit provides teachers with a chance to reflect on their teaching.
- All activities involve students sitting at their desks reading, writing, or speaking.
- Content and structure remains the same throughout most of the curriculum.
- Teachers are expected to stick closely to the direction provided.