My Pop Studio
My Pop Studio is a creative play experience and online interactive space for girls, designed to build media literacy and critical thinking skills. A robust curriculum guides educators in facilitating activities that promote candid discussion and reflection. The site enables users to learn about the inner workings of the media industry including music production, television, magazine publishing, and multimedia – to deconstruct the process and discover the techniques media makers use to subtly influence their audiences. In each area, youth experiment with different media-making roles while analyzing the impact media has on their self-image and daily lives.
Multimedia/Digital Literacy, Media Arts Production, Art/Drama/Music
Language Arts, Life & Social Skills, Parent & Community
Grades/Ages: Middle school & high school
The costs shown were accurate at the time of the review. Please check the publisher's web site for current prices.
Publication Date: 2006
The developers of My Pop Studio are uniquely aware of the profound ways that the current media culture influences girls. Celebrity, advertising, social networking, and popular entertainment can have a significant impact on a young person’s social and emotional development as well as their physical and mental well-being. Employing dynamic multimedia tools, the site intends to identify and counter negative impact and offer girls an opportunity to interact with peers, parents, and their teachers as they explore the role media plays in their lives.
My Pop Studio was developed with the assistance of national experts on adolescent development, public health, women’s studies, publishing, public health, new media and medicine. The site was funded through a grant from the Office of Women’s Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Activity Types: Independent online learning with community interaction, along with facilitated discussion and activities through the teacher/parent curriculum
- Materials/technology required: Computer with Internet connection, multimedia tools
- Program Length/Duration: Numerous activities that can be launched in a single visit or through ongoing participation
Instruction is learner-driven but facilitated through a number of online activities central to the My Pop Studio site, including:
The accompanying curriculum guide, with lesson plans for educators and parents, promotes group discussion corresponding to the key learning objectives in each section. A full set of learning objectives for each section is available at http://www.mypopstudio.com/about_site.php.
- The Magazine Studio where users compose a magazine layout featuring themselves as celebrities, explore the power of digital retouching, and reflect on the role of body image in today's culture.
- The TV Studio where users edit a TV show, examine viewing choices, comment on teen celebrities, and compare their daily screen time with others.
- The Music Studio where users create a pop star, compose her image and song, explore the power of music in selling a product and search for truth in media gossip.
- The Digital Studio where users consider the "what if's" of social networking sites and reflect on the power of media and technology in their social relationships.
Consideration of Special Student Populations
My Pop Studio was specifically developed to address the impact media has on girls and young women and to serve the needs of this audience as they build greater media awareness and self-esteem.