At A Glance
SEDL’s New Study Teacher Resources in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas Tells Us That Teacher Pay Matters
Education and Experience: Primary Drivers of Pay
- The vast majority of teachers in all three states are paid based on experience and education.
- Teacher experience and education has little impact on student achievement.
- A teacher’s effectiveness cannot be predicted based on one or two criteria.
Teacher Pay and Student Achievement
- The lowest paid teachers were in rural schools with high student poverty rates and low student achievement.
- In Arkansas and Texas, there was a connection between teacher salary and student achievement, while in Louisiana there were no differences.
Thinking Differently About Teacher Pay
- Teacher pay must take into account such factors as differences in local or regional economies, the needs of schools with low-income students, and the competencies and credentials of the teacher pool.
- Models of new compensation programs provide excellent examples of the rationale, implementation strategies, and evaluation of new pay systems.
Next Page: References and Credits