Overview of Providing Linguistic Accommodations to English Language Learners During Instruction: (Online Course)
Authors: Learning Sciences International, Texas Education Agency, Center on Instruction, Texas Comprehensive Center, SEDL
|Price: Available free online|
Available online: multimedia
Need Help with Logging On to the Course?
- When creating your account, you must select the organization: Texas Comprehensive Center and the Center for Instruction, which gives you free access to the course.
- In the registration form, leave "Division" blank.
- Select the option indicating that you are a Texas educator.
- To enroll in the course, use the "Courses" menu and select these options: CATALOG ==> DIVERSE LEARNERS ==> VIEW VERSIONS ==> DETAILS ==> CONTINUE, and then you can select the option to enroll in the course.
- Once enrolled, select "Courses" and "My Courses" from the top menu, and you can then begin the course.
Click here for directions on how to set up an account for this online course.
English language learners (ELLs) have the challenge of learning English and rigorous academic content simultaneously. The Texas English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) require linguistic accommodations to be provided—in accordance with a student’s English language proficiency level—to make academic instruction comprehensible and accessible. Learning Sciences International, in collaboration with the Texas Education Agency, Center on Instruction, and the Texas Comprehensive Center, has developed an online module that can be accessed by Texas educators free of charge. Titled "Overview of Providing Linguistic Accommodations to English Language Learners During Instruction," this module’s primary goal is to expand educators’ knowledge of ELL linguistic accommodations, so that they will be better prepared to help students attain high levels of English proficiency and academic success.
After completing this module, educators will be able to
- understand, in general terms, the size of the ELL population in Texas and in the U.S.,
- distinguish among the types of programs offered to serve ELLs in Texas,
- understand and describe the use of the Texas English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS),
- explain what linguistic accommodations are and why they are needed during classroom instruction, and
- describe what parts of the ELPS address the need for linguistically accommodating instruction.
There will be a number of printed documents throughout the module that will help participants achieve the desired outcomes.