SEDL National Art Contest
Education and My Future
SEDL is pleased to invite students to participate in a national art contest. The contest is open to all K–12 students in the United States in public and private schools, as well as home-schooled students.
The theme is “Education and My Future.” We want to see students’ perspectives on how education impacts their future. This theme could take many forms, and we encourage creativity from each entry. What do you think education will be like in the future? How will we learn differently than we do today? What will education look like in the future? How will education help your future? What would your future be without education?
Artwork entry rules
By entering the contest, entrants accept and agree to these rules and the decision of the judges, which shall be final.
- Each entry must be the original work of a child between the ages of 5 and 18 currently in preK–12 studies. Adults may give verbal assistance, but they cannot add to the artwork.
- Entries must represent any interpretation of the “Education and My Future” theme.
- Entries must be on poster board or thick paper no larger than 11” x 17” and no smaller than 8½” x 11”. They may be created with any art media such as paint, chalk, markers, crayons, photographs, or digitized art. (All artwork using pencil, charcoal, or chalk should be sprayed with a fixative or covered with a transparent wrapping to prevent smudging.)
- No copyrighted slogans, logos, or other materials are permitted.
- Entries must be postmarked by November 1, 2007, and must have an official SEDL entry form enclosed with the entry (forms may be photocopied). One entry per envelope, although a class may include multiple envelopes of individual entries in a larger mailer. Limit one entry per child. Please ship in a flat package marked, “ARTWORK ENCLOSED. DO NOT BEND.” SEDL suggests using a mailing service if you are concerned about tracking the package. SEDL staff will not be able to tell you if/when an entry was received. SEDL is not responsible for lost, stolen, illegible, incomplete, misdirected, damaged, postage-due, or late mail submissions.
- Mail submissions to: Education and My Future Art Contest,
211 East 7th St., Suite 200,
Austin, TX 78701
- Failure to meet all of the requirements above will result in an entry’s disqualification.
- Artwork will not be returned. Entries will become the sole property of SEDL and may be used, reproduced, distributed, modified in size or presentation, or displayed by SEDL, or its partners, for any purpose that benefits or is otherwise useful to SEDL. Entrants also assign any claims that have accrued or may accrue in the rights of the poster, whether known or unknown.
- A panel of contest judges will select one grand prize winner and 11 runners-up. Winners will be judged in four different grade levels: grades preK–2, grades 3–6, grades 7–9, and grades 10–12. For each grade range, a first, second, and third place winner will be awarded. Artwork will be judged on the originality of design, clarity of message, and artistic merit. Each of the winners will be notified by phone, mail, or e-mail in early December 2007.
- Winners and winners’ parent/legal guardian must sign and return a publicity release to grant permission to SEDL and any sponsor organizations acting under the authority of SEDL to use the winner’s name, winning entry, photograph, voice,
and/or likeness, for publicity purposes, without additional compensation.
Please be sure to read the rules carefully before preparing your artwork for this contest. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For official rules, please refer to www.sedl.org/artcontest/winners.html.
SEDL is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to solving significant problems facing educational systems and communities to ensure a quality education for all learners.
SEDL will recognize first, second, and third place in each grade category by framing the work and displaying in SEDL’s new national headquarters in Austin, Texas. Our headquarters is scheduled for a January 10, 2008 dedication and grand opening. SEDL will also recognize the winners with a $100 gift to their school and a certificate to their school and to the student. We will also display digital versions of their artwork on the SEDL Web site. In addition, SEDL will make the following awards within each grade category:
1st place: iPod 40 GB
2nd place: iPod Nano
3rd place: iPod Shuffle
One Grand Prize Winner selected from the first place winners in each category will receive a Mac Computer. The student, a parent, and their teacher will also be invited to Austin, Texas for a ceremony recognizing their artwork in the first half of 2008, courtesy or SEDL and the Stephen F. Austin Intercontinental Hotel. The trip will be coordinated to work with student, school, and family schedules.