Spiders - Lesson I: Spiders! Scary or Nice?
ACTIVITY: Like or Not Like
Students collect information and depict it on a graph; count; compare numbers.
At the Mathematics Center
Glue or tape
Post-it notes or pieces of paper with each student's name or initials to glue
- Before the lesson, take a survey of class members to see whether they like
or do not like spiders.
- Each student places note on the column marked "yes" or "no".
- Students count notes in each category.
- Compare the numbers. How many more like (or dislike) spiders than not like
(or like)? What do we do to compare two numbers to see which is greater? (We can
count; match the squares to see which ones are left over; subtract.)
- Repeat the survey after the lesson. Again, compare the numbers.
Before Lesson After Lesson
Yes|O O O O O Yes|
No |O O O No |