Spiders - Lesson 2: Spiders Have Special Characteristics
ACTIVITY: Ordering Sets and Numbers
The student constructs a set with one more (one less) member than a given set and
assigns each set its corresponding cardinal number.
counters, toy spiders or objects representing spiders
numeral cards 0 through 10
Students work in pairs.
- One student constructs a set of spiders.
- The second student:
- constructs a set with one more spider on the right of the smaller set
- places the appropriate numeral card under each set
- makes a statement such as: four spiders are more than three spiders;
four is one more than three.
- The two students change roles and continue constructing sets of "one more."
- Change the task to construct a set that has "one less" spider than the
- Students continue as in Procedure 2.