Spiders - Lesson 5: Spiders Have Natural Enemies
ACTIVITY: Spider Enemies
Students list at least three spider enemies.
Pictures (or small plastic models) of various animals, some that are the spider's
natural enemies and others that are not
- Students examine the spiders in the vivarium to see if they can observe
what things a spider fears.
- Are spiders afraid of light? How would you find out?
- Are spiders afraid of noise? Are they afraid of being touched, for example,
by a person with a straw or a twig?
- What happens if you touch a spider's web very softly with a straw or a
small twig? Can the spider "feel" the vibrations of the web?
- Students hypothesize about why spiders would or would not be afraid of
light. (Their enemies can see them.)
- Students will draw or collect pictures of various animals, and then sort
the pictures into two categories: Spider Enemies and Not Spider Enemies.