The Five Senses - Lesson 5: Smell
ACTIVITY: Taste Areas
The students say that they taste different flavors on different parts of
Variety of food samples; water; paper cups (one for each type of food);
chart paper; box of toothpicks; markers; blindfold
Students work in pairs.
- One partner wears a blindfold.
- Using a toothpick, place a small amount of one type of food on the region
of the tongue identified as "1" in the illustration. The blindfolded student judges
the taste with the mouth still open so the food sample is not spread to other
regions of the tongue.
- Record the judgment each time. Rinse the mouth with water between
- After placing the first food type on all four regions of the tongue and
recording the student's responses, taste the next food.
- The partner performs the test.
- Students draw and write about the flavors the tongue tastes.