Dinosaurs - Lesson 1: Long Ago
ACTIVITY: Thumbprint Dinosaurs
Students imagine and make dinosaur shapes and color them.
- One package of uncooked rice
- Blue, purple and yellow food coloring
- Heavy cardboard
- Three containers with lids, for rice
- One sheet of construction paper per student
- Make blue, purple and yellow-colored rice with food coloring: Put rice
into three separate containers; put several drops of each of the different food
colors into separate containers; mix the contents in each container separately to
get the desired color.
- Use heavy cardboard to make the dinosaur templates. Use any one of the
dinosaur patterns in Appendix A - Dinosaur to make a template.
- Make the dinosaurs thumbprints:
- Lay the template on construction paper
- Brush glue on the construction paper, inside the template
- Choose colored rice for dinosaur's color
- Pour rice within the template and let dry
- Pour excess rice back into the appropriate rice container.
- Students design different-colored patterns to give texture and color to the