SEDL Insights, Vol. 2, No. 2: How Districts Can Lay the Groundwork for Lasting Family Engagement
Authors: Lacy Wood,
Price: Available free online|
• Published: 2014
Available online: electronic file, PDF
Family engagement in a student’s education can lead to improved student academic achievement, attendance, and behavior. Yet many districts and schools still struggle to form strong partnerships with the families they serve. Having a supportive district-level infrastructure is key to the success and sustainability of family engagement initiatives. This issue of SEDL Insights
outlines district supports that can lay the foundation for high-impact family engagement.
SEDL Insights on How Districts Can Lay the Groundwork for Lasting Family Engagement
- Provide training and supports for both educators and families.
- Integrate family engagement standards and measures into educator evaluation systems.
- Leverage funds and resources from multiple sources.
- Create staff positions dedicated to family engagement.
- Focus on school improvement instead of procedural compliance.
- Make student and school data accessible and meaningful to families.